Sunday, April 22, 2012

Task 6a: Inquiry Tools


Interview

For my pilot interview, I felt it would be a good idea to chat to a professional colleague, as it would be more relaxed and easily accessible.  I thought it would be a good idea to take a ballet class at an established studio and then afterwards discuss their thoughts and feelings of the quality of the experience.

I had already thought of a set of questions to get the ball rolling.  Before hand, I explained that the interview was for the BAPP course I am doing and how the information would be used.  I ensured their personal information would not be included.  I also indicated that I was looking at dance technique and injury.

We started by Subject A discussing what they thought their experience.  Our interview went in a direction I didn’t expect, ending up discussing our surroundings and referring to other reputable studios they have danced at, this is something I had not considered but made sense, so I let them continue on this line of thought.

Unfortunately, I forgot my dicta-phone so instead; notes were taken during the interview, for reference later.  The interview lasted about 15 – 20 minutes. 


Focus Group

For the Focus Group, I asked couple of dancer friends to join me for a group discussion.  I informed them of the BAPP course that I am doing (technique and injury) and why I we were having a group chat.  I also informed them that they would remain anonymous and all information shared during the session will be used only for its purpose.  I also had a verbal agreement from all the members of the group allowing me to use the information gained to be used for its intention.

Again, I prepared a set of questions to start the session and to see where the conversation went.  I found that at some points during the discussion we had veered off the course of technique and injury and needed to gently remind them.

I also felt that one member was talking a lot more than others, and that gentle prompting was needed to get the others talking, but I found the two sides to the arguments fascinating.  The group session lasted for about 20 minutes.


Survey

I created a survey on a well-known web site for people on the BAPP course to answer about Dance Injury.  It’s completely anonymous and easy to access as its web based.

I did not make the survey too long as I feel that people get put off by long, epic surveys that take half and hour to fill in, so all my questions remained sharp and to the point.

Unless I get all the people on the BAPP course to answer the questionnaire (or at least the dancers), it’s not entirely reliable, as we have not had everyone’s opinion.

Also, before the link to the survey, I have informed the participants what the questionnaire is for and how the information will be used.


Observation

I felt it was important that for my pilot observation I should observe a ballet class (my regular class), from both points of view, as a dancer and as a spectator, to see if there was any variation in the study. 

To my surprise, when watching the class as a spectator, I heard the teacher mention more than I had initially realized.  Some of the things said shocked me, as I had never heard them before.

I also saw a lot more than I originally expected, I noticed that as dancers, we forget about performing in class and focus on technique, yet when observing I noticed some technical elements slip as the class progressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment